Help...I Need Opinions!

I was just thinking to myself during the last few weeks that it had been a while since I was extremely angry with G. In keeping with tradition with the last 3 years, I couldn't let September pass without doing so. I am so utterly pissed that I have to keep reminding myself to breathe. Yesterday at about 4 pm I called him at work to ask where the key was for the back gate (since he has to lock it all the time), so the pest control guy could spray the backyard. He screened my call and called back about 5 minutes later. It sounded noisy and I asked him were he was? He said "at work" and I questioned him further because I didn't believe him and he insisted he was still working and AT work. He then proceeded to chew me out because I lost the key and should know where he put it. I asked when he would be home and done working and he said "I'm still working! I don't know!".
Well at about 8:30 pm he comes strolling in, chewing gum and asks how I'm doing, as if everything is peachy. He smelled like a bottle of vodka and I asked him where he was? He said "out....at the bar". I then became pissed because he didn't even have the courtesy to call me to say he would be home late or he needed to go out after work. I don't care if he does this, but I don't like him coming home drunk and not calling me to let me know he will be home late. I asked what time he went to the bar and he said after 5:30 pm. He never answered when I asked him why he couldn't have some courtesy to call and let me know while he was on his way there. I asked where he was specifically and he said a "city" bar. He wouldn't tell me where exactly. I put in a princess movie to annoy him and he passed out on the couch.
This morning he pretended as if everything was just fine. I asked if he planned to tell me why he couldn't even tell me he was coming home late and was going to the bar? He didn't say anything. I asked how he could get drunk in only 1.5 hours? He said, "what are you talking about". I told him what he said last night about going out after 5:30 pm. He said, "No, I was there way before then". He was there during our phone conversation yesterday. Not only did he not tell me he was there on the phone, but he lied and said he was at work. In addition, he insisted that he didn't lie to me and that he was "with people from work", so technically "at work". He also, conveniently said he couldn't remember when he really went and didn't remember why he didn't tell me. He also told me the specific bar he went to, which I don't even believe that. Now he won't talk to me about it because I am "playing games". He has also commented in the past about how rude and inconsiderate husbands can be to their wives by either lying about going to the bar or not even calling to say they would be home late. Yet, he does the same thing!!!
Why would he lie about something so stupid? He goes out all the time after work and lets me know. It's not like I make him come home or get angry with him when he tells me he is going out after work or going to be home late. However, I do get livid when I am lied to and made to feel like I am overreacting, because I don't let him get away with "bending the truth". He believes that twisting the truth to convey something other than the truth is not lying. I consider it a lie (am I wrong?) According to comments on my blog it seems like I "under react" most of the time.
Last night I had a suspicion that something was going on and I was correct! I've had several "feelings" during the last 6 months or so and I always discount them. He has been coming home later all the time (often after 7pm, when he used to get home at 4:30 or earlier) with the excuse "I was working". I wonder what else is he lying about if he believes he can conveniently twist the truth? I will put up with a lot, but I will not tolerate lying!!! Lying to me indicates one has something to hide and needs a cover story. Does anyone else think something else is going on? If so, what??? Please, I need some objective opinions before I talk to him about this any more. I also don't want to over or under react this time. I am not about to let him get away from taking responsbility and paying for his choices if there is something else going on! Through anger I can quickly overcome my fears. I am so sick of his cocky, "I'm better than everyone else" attitude! Someone needs to teach him a lesson that it isn't ok to belittle those around him so he can feel better about himself. He comes off as a charming, proud, nice enough guy...but he is so full of himself! I've never seen him humbled a day in his life. Ugggh..I am pissed!

Comments

brian luenemann said…
You asked for it, and I'll be happy to give it to you: he's lying to you, you know it, yet you're in some sort of denial about it- as if it's so shocking to you that he would lie to you that you can't fully believe it. And because you don't want to believe it, you do nothing about it. Sure- you call him on it and maybe yell at him, but what is that teaching him. "I can do what I want and she's only going to yell at me." Guys can tune out being yelled at with just a little practice. He's lying to you and you take it. You let him know it's acceptable to you because you do nothing about it. He's not going to suddenly stop. People who lie cannot just stop. It is reactive and he probably couldn't stop it if he wanted to. Why do you settle for this? Have some self-respect. You made a mistake when you were younger- you married the wrong guy. It is not something you should have to live with the rest of your life. You need to get over two things: 1) This fear of being on your own for awhile. We grow the most by confronting our fears. You, missy, need to bust out of your rut and grow or you're going to stagnate and your health problems will become worse; and 2) This notion that God doesn't want you to divorce your husband. The church doctrine of not leaving your spouse was created by men a long time ago who treated their wives as second class citizens (or worse) and needed to instill in them the fear of God to keep them from leaving them. Does the God you believe in want people to stay in abusive, deceptive, and hurtful relationships? Do you think he'd say "Nope- can't leave him. You married him in a church so you're stuck with him regardless of how much he hurts you."? If you say "yes", then there is nothing helpful anyone can say to you because you are not able to be helped. Your biggest barrier to growth, good health and happiness is yourself; likewise- your key to all of that is yourself as well. What are you going to do? I wish you luck.
I don't know...honestly. I need to process this one.
brian luenemann said…
I thought about it a bit and feel like I was harsher than I needed to be with this. It's just frustrating to feel like the answer is so easy. It's like watching "Romeo and Juliet" and yelling at the TV for them to run away together, despite already knowing the outcome of the movie is not going to change. Of course, I am not in your shoes and that is what I'm not taking into account. I stand by my opinion and advice, but wish I delivered it more tactfully. I continue to wish for good things for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Written in the Stars

Twin Flames

Craziest Year of My Life!!!!