Career dilemmas

I feel I am getting older and should have accomplished so much more than I have. Thus, I have been racking my brain and exploring as many options as possible to expand my career options and opportunities for the future. I currently have a specific, yet general degree in my field. Although I love my current job, I couldn't make a living on my own and unfortunately similar programs are not offered in my home state. The opportunities to make more than I do now, are slim, even in 10 years. As a SLP I could attend 3 more years of college starting fall 2007 and double my salary in my current location, yet receive only a 10% increase in my home state. I decided the option wasn't feasible if I ever planned to move home. Yesterday my mom sent me a job opening in my hometown with a salary 3 times my current income! The problem arises because I do not have a teaching certification or M.ed, thus I couldn't be considered at this time. BUT...I could get my M.ED or similar online in less than one year while working full time.

Goals:
*Obtain a usable Master's degree that will allow for a significant increase in my salary in the future and opportunity for advancement with possible use of a Doctorate
* Find a job with great benefits and summers off (school district- I would love to hear any other options, because I just can't think of any)
* Ability to support myself and kids if need be.
* Live near my family

Barriers:
* I don't have a teaching certificate and don't know if my current degree would qualify me (possibly more undergrad school or Master's in an unwanted area)
* I have to obtain a supervised teaching "experience" at an accredited school, and I don't know where to start to even qualify for certification.
* I have to teach for 3 years in an accredited school, plus have a specific Master's degree to qualify for a school admin certificate. (I've dreaded teaching and said I would never do it in a school setting).
* I have to pay out of state tuition right now, that is more than 2x the resident tuition.
* I have to obtain a specific degree in my home state to qualify for the position I want that doesn't lend to teaching certification.

Pros of overcoming barriers:
* I don't have to work summers!
* Opportunity for career advancement.
* I would double my current salary as soon as I obtain the admin certification with potential to quadruple my current salary in any state!
* I could support myself and my family.
* I could spend summers at my lake house.
* I honestly think the opportunities are endless and it could all be achieved in 4 years or less!
* I might feel that I actually did something notable with my life, instead of feeling like a looser because I graduated at the top of my class and didn't attempt to achieve my true potential.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Written in the Stars

Twin Flames

Craziest Year of My Life!!!!